Reggie Brown: Future #1? According To Mike Quick - "Yes."

Started by Rome, January 01, 2006, 09:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Quote from: EagleFeva on January 02, 2006, 06:00:26 AM
Quote from: MURP on January 02, 2006, 12:07:30 AM
god forbid they have more than 1 WR on the roster at a time that can make plays.   

Dear Lord, Murp... you read my mind.

If you don't have that top notch WR (which we don't anymore) you HAVE TO have more than 1 quality WR in your corps.  It's amazing to me that in an offense that passes the ball as much as we do... it's consistently one of the weakest positions on the team.

Wouldn't Westbrook qualify as a de facto #1 receiver?

MadMarchHare

I'll put even odds on this - we won't pick up a big name WR in free agency.  It'll be a McCants guy if anything.
Anyone but Reid.

jeffreyjpa

I don't think they'll sign a "star" WR in the off-season, either...there really aren't many out there, unless you want to take a chance on an older guy who has had recent problems with management (Moulds), or take a second-bannana who put up big numbers opposite a stud, like Reggie Wayne. The Eagles will not trade high draft picks for a veteran WR, they guard them like they're children.

Personally, I'd go after Moulds if he was available, but I think someone will offer him more money than the Eagles will think he's worth. Wayne is an interesting thought, but he could be the next Alvin Harper or Peerless Price, and the dearth of FA WRs this year will definitely drive his price way above reasonable.

MadMarchHare

No, I'm saying even if a TO/Harrison kind of player were out there, our starters next season would still be Brown and ToothPink/Lewis/McMullen.
Anyone but Reid.

jeffreyjpa

You may well be right...the talk coming out of beat reporters has mostly been focused on improving the lines for next season, which isn't a bad idea. That might indicate a tendency to not focus on other positions which they feel are of lesser need, like WR and LB.

They definitely need to improve this defense...their performance this season was abysmal, and they don't have quite the injury toll of the offense to lean on for an excuse. I think the defensive side is where the majority of their money should be spent, moreso than a WR with a name.

Rome

Jones & Adams were horrible this year.  Kearse was mediocre at best and as much as everyone likes to slobber over Trent Cole in these parts, he didn't do much the last month of the season.  The defensive tackles didn't get any pressure on the quarterback all year either.

So in that regard, they're right about those positions being higher priorities in terms of upgrading in the offseason.

Brown played well but the rest of the WR squad was pretty lousy, especially Lewis.  He really disappointed this year.  He's proven himself to be a #3 or #4 at best.

Personally, I'd love to see Moulds wearing midnight green but if history is any barometer, I doubt it's going to happen.  Reid for whatever reason honestly sees his receivers as being competent enough to get the job done.  Then again, he also sees Reno Mahe as a legitimate NFL player, so...

Feva

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on January 02, 2006, 08:17:24 AM
Quote from: EagleFeva on January 02, 2006, 06:00:26 AM
Quote from: MURP on January 02, 2006, 12:07:30 AM
god forbid they have more than 1 WR on the roster at a time that can make plays.   

Dear Lord, Murp... you read my mind.

If you don't have that top notch WR (which we don't anymore) you HAVE TO have more than 1 quality WR in your corps.  It's amazing to me that in an offense that passes the ball as much as we do... it's consistently one of the weakest positions on the team.

Wouldn't Westbrook qualify as a de facto #1 receiver?

Do me a favor and practice your Russian somewhere else.  ;D

Yeah, I know Westbrook catches more balls than Vanessa Del Rio these days, but I'm talking someone to mentor Reggie and keep that #1 CB off him for a while while he develops.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

MDS

This is what scares me. Andy is in love with Pinkston, but even he knows Pinkston is not a slot reciever. Brown was fantastic this year, so he really deserves a starting spot. We all know we still need another playmaker at WR, maybe Moulds or Walker or even Wayne (doubt they get into a bidding war, but you never know). The easy solution is to say goodbye to Pinkston and find someone else to become the slot reciever. But I don't think Andy will kick his boy to the curb like that. So that means either Reggie at the slot or simply not upgrading the WR position and returning the offense to the dink and dunk days of no TO.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

mussa

I am all for another veteran receiver, especially if Reid is going to continue the passing offense.  Now what I would like to see is a three-headed monster type thing with our smaller than average running backs.  The run game has shown flashes of success this year.  It takes pressure off McNabb and wears down defenses.  COME ON ANDY...GIVE ALITTLE LOVE TO THE RUN GAME!
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

PhillyandBCEagles

I think Brown can handle the #1 job next year.   He's not TO and probably never will be, but he still has a ton of potential.  Get a vet #2/#3-type guy (Randle El is my preference, but Wayne or Jurevicius would also work) and fill out the WR ranks with Pinky, Lewis, and McCants (who really impressed me the last 2-3 games this year).

mussa

I like Randel El---not only as a consistent receiver, but he can return kicks/punts and also has a hell of an arm.  Hes a triple threat!

The BIGSTUD

From watching the Steelers on TV sometimes, I came to the conclusion the problem with Randle El is he isn't consistent.

He also doesn't have very good hands.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

ice grillin you

id have no problem with an offense that doesnt have a number one guy....but if you go with that you must have a running game to go along with it...and reid wont do that...if you pass 70% of the time you better have GREAT receivers
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

I also think highly of Reggie Brown. But like others have said...we need more than just Brown and PInkston at WR.

If what Reuben Frank said is correct and Lewis is gone then I would guess that they are going to get someone else.

Get Moulds, Andy.

Moulds
Brown
Pinkston