First/Memorable Eagles Game Experience

Started by mussa, December 23, 2005, 10:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mussa

PG's ESPN thread got me thinking about my first Eagles game which was prob when I was around 10-11 years old in the early 90's.  My first weird memory came when we pulled up in the parking lot.  I jumped out of my dads friends truck and we parked next to an all green van. The sliding door on the side slide open and all this smoke came out, along with two shabby looking dudes.  I remember the smell and i remember them asking my dad and his friend if they wanted any.  I asked about the smell, my dad just said it was cigarettes.

I don't remember much about the game other than I think they were getting their asses kicked by the taterskins.  We were in the 700 level and I remembered alot of constant cursing.  There was a taterskins fan in front of me to the right.  By half time he and a few of the eagles fans were having some words.  I remember his friend saying he knew Karate.   Half-time rolls around and we go to the bathrooms. Prob one of the most traumatizing moments of my young life.  The bathroom was a piss mess, smelled horrible, farting all around me, cursing and swearing, prob something I would laugh at now, almost had me in tears.  I finish off and go to wsh my hands in the sink when....well there it is, every sink has not a set of hands in it being washed, but a bunch of wangs pissing.  My dad just drug me out and we went back to the game.

The second half again paid not much attention to the game cause of what was going on around me.  The shtein talking from the taterskins fans and eagles fans escaladed.  Finally i remember looking over and an old drunk eagles fan, and by old i mean white haired, swings at the taterskins fan, the taterskins fan ducks and the old guy goes flying down into the crowd.  i though the old guy died. so the taterskins fans had enough and were walking torwards the steps when an eagles fan just stands up and decks the one guy talking shtein.  they go flying down into the stands.  security is right there, because of the old guy that fell and it didn't lead to anything crazy, but it sure as hell held my attention throughout the game. that was my first eagles game experience.  my first NFL game experience.  and prob the most memorable to date.

Please share yours...
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Wingspan

the first game i ever attended was the game vs the falcons where quick caught the 99 yard pass in overtime.

my earliest memory of watching the birds, was a random game vs browns in 1982...the birds won, i think carmichael scored twice. and he instantly became my favorite eagle of all time. and still is. every sport i ever played i wore #17.

they went on strike the next week.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Butchers Bill

First game I went to was December 1st 1985, my thirteenth birthday.  We were spanking the Vikings and were up by four touchdowns at halftime I believe.  My parents wanted to go because the game "was over" and it was cold.  I said, "but the Vikings could come back"...not really believing it, I just wanted to stay at the Vet a couple more hours.  Well, of course the Vikings DID come back to win the game, and i went home wishing Marion Campbell would get fired....which he did not too long after.
I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

Wingspan

Quote from: Butchers Bill on December 23, 2005, 11:30:40 AM
First game I went to was December 1st 1985, my thirteenth birthday.  We were spanking the Vikings and were up by four touchdowns at halftime I believe.  My parents wanted to go because the game "was over" and it was cold.  I said, "but the Vikings could come back"...not really believing it, I just wanted to stay at the Vet a couple more hours.  Well, of course the Vikings DID come back to win the game, and i went home wishing Marion Campbell would get fired....which he did not too long after.

i remember that game well. i also always wondered why the birds played the vikings twice in december of that year.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PhillyGirl

The first game I REMEMBER going to (even though there were many games before it), was the Eagles/St Louis Cardinals game in 1982. It was the strike year and in that game, the Eagles must have put out about 12 Cards. Stretchers were coming out every few minutes to remove another Cardinal player.

It was UGLY. Eagles lost the game, but I have never seen so many brutal hits or injuries in one game in my life.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

MDS

eagles/giants mnf where we ended the 9 in a row streak at the meadowlands. i was like 13 and alone with a friend, and some drunk college kid shoved me in the concourse because i was wearin a mcnabb jersey. good times had by all.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Seabiscuit36

First game i went to was Eagles vs Titans at the Vet when Delgreco who had missed something like 3 gamewinning fg's the past 3 weeks kicked in a 51 yarder to win for Tennessee with seconds remaining after andy decided to throw it on 3rd down when he should of ran the clock out. 

For my family it was a big party.  My dad, cousin, uncle, brother, grandfather all went.  Just a crazy day from getting to my grandfathers house and him being bundled up in 5 layers of clothes so hot my grandmother had to put him in the back yard to cool down.  He looked like the kid from A Christmas Story.  My uncle breaking out a martini set from a small piece of luggage.  My cousin and i bombed trying to find the portopottys,walking past the portopottys 2times before we realized where they were.  The awsome drunks around us in 214 making it one hell of an experience.  After that game my cousin and i went to 2 more games that year.  And many more since......

The best game had to be the December 31st Tampa Bay playoff game.  That was the best stadium experience of my life. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

fansince61

Sept. 17,1961.... the NFL Champion Eagles opened at Franklln against the Cleveland Browns with future Hall of Famer Jimmy Brown at fullback.  It was a beautiful day and as my dad and I were climbing the steps to get to our 30 yd line seats Cleveland Kicks off to the Eagles and the Eagles rookie Timmy Brown returns the opening kickoff 105 Yds for the TD..still an Eagles record I believe ;)

PhillyPhreak54

First Eagles game I ever attended was the 30-11 playoff loss in Dallas the week after the Birds stomped a mudhole in Detroit 58-37. I got tickets for Christmas and I was supposed to go with a friend who lived in Dallas. But he lost his ticket and I ended up having to go alone and watch the Birds lose. I was only 16 at the time but I had a good time. Many Cowboys fans gave me shtein, but it was fun until the game was over.

After the game I went out to where the players got on the busses and walked right into the area because I had my Charlie Garner jersey on and I pestered him for an autograph. He was wearing a pink suit with a pink mink coat and a pink hat. He looked like Ralphie in A Christmas Story.

I was also at the pickle juice game in Dallas and the game in 1996 when Whatchoo Talkin 'Bout Willis picked Aikman and lateraled to Vincent.

Rome

I don't really remember watching the Eagles at Franklin Field much.  The drives down North Broad Street in the late 60's were more interested to a kid from Jenkintown.

:-D

The first clear, I-can-see-it-like-yesterday memory I have of an Eagles game is Jim Bakken of the St. Louis Cardinals kicking a field goal at the Vet in 1975 to beat the Eagles.  I remember looking up at my brother & brother-in-law and thinking "what the farg are they so pissed off about?"

Man... that was 30 years ago.  Whew.

Phanatic

Vintage 80's Eagles Dallas at the Vet. I mainly remember some rather enthusiastic ladies screaming for Hershal everytime he touched the ball... Even though he was a Cowboy at that time.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on December 23, 2005, 07:49:25 PM
I don't really remember watching the Eagles at Franklin Field much.  The drives down North Broad Street in the late 60's were more interested to a kid from Jenkintown.

:-D

The first clear, I-can-see-it-like-yesterday memory I have of an Eagles game is Jim Bakken of the St. Louis Cardinals kicking a field goal at the Vet in 1975 to beat the Eagles.  I remember looking up at my brother & brother-in-law and thinking "what the farg are they so pissed off about?"

Man... that was 30 years ago.  Whew.

You old fart!  ;D

Diomedes

First game was Nov. 21 1999 at the Vet, vs. the Colts.  Eagles lost 44-17, but it was worse than that: the Eagles scored 14 points in the fourth quarter on a Donovan pass to Chad Lewis, and a Brandon Whiting interception return for a TD.  Even though the game was a loss, and I was 25 years old before I went to my first game, it was a fantastic experience.  I'll never forget what it was like seeing the (concrete) field for the first time.  Plus, that was Donovan's first NFL TD pass. 

Most memorable experience was October 19th, 2003 at the Meadowlands, watching Westbook return a punt 84 yards for the "miracle" win with 1:16 remaining.  The looks on the faces of those Giants fans...ha!
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Feva

The first Eagles game I ever went to was against the Bills in Buffalo in 1990.  I was 14 and my dad knew how bad I wanted to see my Birds so he got the tix.  That was the obviously the game where Randall threw that 95 yard TD to Barnett.  I was sitting in the far end zone corner trying to keep my younger brother, a Bills fan, off my back because the Eagles were so backed up against their own end zone.

The play started and all I could see from my seat was the entire Bills D-line seemingly engulfing Randall in the end zone.  Me, getting pissed off... threw my hands in the air and turned my head away.  After a second or two, I turn back around and I just see a football flying directly at me!  I'm thinkin', "What the farg is going on?!" as I look down and see Barnett running underneath the ball.  Fred outjumped Nate Odomes for the ball and took off.  I swear to God, there had to be like 15 Eagles fans in the entire stadium but I heard every single one of their asses cuz they had to be losing their minds just like I was watching Barnett cross the goal line... not to mention that the Bills fans were all sitting there with their jaws dropped.

What made it even sweeter was when they showed the replay on the scoreboard... THREE TIMES!  Obviously, you never get to see the visiting team's highlights on the scoreboard, but even they had to admit that play was farging amazing!

We went on to lose 30-23... but I had the play of the year in my head the whole way home to keep my spirits up.  :yay
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Dillen

I've only been to two games, the one at Buffalo 2 years ago when we started 0-2. I had awesome seats, and almost the entire section was Eagles fans. Westbrook had his first TD right in our endzone, the 60-some yard run. Other game was later in the year when Westbrook had the punt return for the TD in the Meadowlands, went with one of my Giants fans. That place went so quiet after the TD.