Another target for a PG attack

Started by BigEd76, November 17, 2005, 01:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

henchmanUK

Quote from: Diomedes on November 17, 2005, 12:48:53 PM
Quote from: henchmanUK on November 17, 2005, 12:47:25 PMCall me crazy, but usually the teams you face in championship games and Super Bowls are better than the teams you face in divisional and wild card rounds.

Sure they are.  But doesn't the fact that the Eagles were there kinda negate that?  I mean, if the Eagles got there, then shouldn't they be worthy of the competition?

I see your point, but I don't think it is that surprising that McNabb's numbers were worse in the championship game than they were in the earlier rounds because they were, at the end of the day, playing better teams. Eg, the Eagles were pretty damn fortunate to beat Green Bay in the 4th and 26 game, but then faced a tougher team in Carolina and got beat. Therefore, the Eagles certainly were worthy of the competition, but I think there's an argument that they weren't better. Was that all down to McNabb? I don't think so.
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

Diomedes

Quote from: henchmanUK on November 17, 2005, 12:55:05 PMI see your point, but I don't think it is that surprising that McNabb's numbers were worse in the championship game than they were in the earlier rounds because they were, at the end of the day, playing better teams.

So then how would explain the phenomenon of QBs kicking ass in play off games, posting better stats than in regular season, etc.  By your reasoning, they should have more interceptions and fewer TDs because the competition is better.  But that doesn't correspond to what actually happens.

I agree, the competition is tougher in post season than in regular season.  Where I disagree is in the idea that consequently, you can't preform as well against them.  McNabb hasn't/can't (depending on your take), that's to be sure.  But others certainly have.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Feva

Quote from: Diomedes on November 17, 2005, 01:01:43 PM
Quote from: henchmanUK on November 17, 2005, 12:55:05 PMI see your point, but I don't think it is that surprising that McNabb's numbers were worse in the championship game than they were in the earlier rounds because they were, at the end of the day, playing better teams.

So then how would explain the phenomenon of QBs kicking ass in play off games, posting better stats than in regular season, etc.  By your reasoning, they should have more interceptions and fewer TDs because the competition is better.  But that doesn't correspond to what actually happens.

I agree, the competition is tougher in post season than in regular season.  Where I disagree is in the idea that consequently, you can't preform as well against them.  McNabb hasn't/can't (depending on your take), that's to be sure.  But others certainly have.
Better help.

You try getting past the best teams in the NFL with Thrash, Pinkston, Mitchell as your starting WR's.  McNabb has carried this team offensively through most of his career.  The exception being maybe 2003 where Westbrook really broke out.  When you get deep into the playoffs... teams are better equipped to handle the Philadelphia McNabbs offensively and things get ugly.

There's been 1 QB who's won a SB or even played in one who's has a worse offensive cast to work with than McNabb... and that's Dilfer.  Oh, he just happened to have one of, if not the, best defenses in NFL history to bail him out.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

henchmanUK

Quote from: Diomedes on November 17, 2005, 01:01:43 PM

I wasn't really talking about regular season games, just earlier playoff games and the only QB who's done that in recent years is Tom Brady. I don't mean it's black and white that because you are taking on tougher teams you automatically won't play as well, but I think it stands to reason that the deeper you go in the playoffs you play better defenses and opponents. I happen to think that the CG and SB defeats have been more to do with a team-wide choke and not just on McNabb and/or Reid. Again, early Elway and Peyton Manning are QBs who have performed brilliantly in earlier rounds in the post-season, then came across better teams and didn't play as well. I still believe Manning and McNabb are good enough to get over the hump with more experience and better overall teams behind them, as Elway did.
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

ice grillin you

This all comes down to Andy Reid's playcalling.  We have won because of Donovan's freakish ability to make some horrible play calls work.  Now that DMac is hobbling with bleeding groins and hernias, he can't make those stupid plays work.  Yes, Donovan has made some awful decisions in big games, but I put more of the blame on the playcalling.

which is why reid needs to go first...let someone else work with donovan
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

Okay.  Well, obviously teams give more of a fight as you go deeper into the playoffs.  And obviously, McNabb has had a lousy supporting cast.  And he's been injured.  And his coach makes some of the worst decisions I've ever seen in-game.  So all these factors that are true mitigate McNabbs failure.

But let's not just dismiss the fact that McNabb has not overcome these when it counts most, despite his well demonstrated ability to overcome them when it counts least.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

phattymatty

I don't even think reid needs to go, I think the way he runs the team works, I just don't want him calling the plays.

PoopyfaceMcGee

McNabb's field vision is average.  That's his biggest drawback.

rjs246

Quote from: phattymatty on November 17, 2005, 01:20:09 PM
I don't even think reid needs to go, I think the way he runs the team works, I just don't want him calling the plays.

Stop saying what I'm thinking and planning on saying. Ass.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

RezRob

Quote from: PhillyFan on November 17, 2005, 12:46:53 PM
McNabb is not the franchise.  This team has been successful primarily because of terrific defense and special teams and the winning, disciplined culture that Andy Reid brought. 

I'm sorry I couldn't read your post after this, you're a fargin idiot.  Our Special teams eats an ass right now. Our defense only stops the run at home apparently and our hopes have always relied on how far Donny can take us. If don't see that you're an idiot.
Official GreenBay Correspondent...

henchmanUK

Quote from: Diomedes on November 17, 2005, 01:19:46 PM
Okay.  Well, obviously teams give more of a fight as you go deeper into the playoffs.  And obviously, McNabb has had a lousy supporting cast.  And he's been injured.  And his coach makes some of the worst decisions I've ever seen in-game.  So all these factors that are true mitigate McNabbs failure.

But let's not just dismiss the fact that McNabb has not overcome these when it counts most, despite his well demonstrated ability to overcome them when it counts least.

Not dismissing it. I was mad as hell with him for throwing that pick against Dallas (although I was more mad at Reid) and even madder with him for that dumb arse fake spike against the Skins and I think his biggest choke job in a big game came in the Super Bowl, but football's a complicated, wonderful game and there are more factors that have to be taken into consideration than "McNabb is a choke artist".

Diomedes

Quote from: henchmanUK on November 17, 2005, 01:25:21 PMNot dismissing it.

Yeah, I know you're not.  I meant that line generally, to everyone.

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

phattymatty

Quote from: rjs246 on November 17, 2005, 01:22:09 PM
Stop saying what I'm thinking and planning on saying. Ass.

i wish my balls weren't so huge.