I LOVE Non-Smokers

Started by Tomahawk, November 14, 2005, 01:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Even though I used to smoke and still will occasionally when hammered, I get the laws against second-hand smoke and whatnot. It smells awful, makes food taste worse, etc. If it really can cause cancer, I don't know...

But this shtein makes no sense at all. It's a LEGAL habit. Employers should have no right to disqualify candidates based on being smokers. None.

Seabiscuit36

I quit smoking on my 30th bday for my wife, i figured she'd want me to die asap and to keep smoking but she said for years at 30 i should stop.  Cold turkey, no problem, but the fact that you can lose a job or be discriminated is ridiculous. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

I would be more in favor of the govt banning tobacco all together more than I am in favor of businesses discriminating against smokers in their hiring practices.

hbionic

It's not so much the discrimination against someone that smokes, it's just that you fargers stink. It's akin to someone dipping their clothes in diarrhea water and spraying themselves with urine cologne and going to work. I really do not know which one is worse.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Munson

Anything that gets smoking one step closer to being illegal :yay
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Seabiscuit36

LOL, so you champion how the government is taking over the world, forcing its will upon everyone and how evil they are.  Now you want them to ban something this country was founded on? 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

You have to balance the health concerns of those who don't smoke with those who do.  I don't care if people smoke but I don't want to smell their filth in restaurants or public offices, or frankly, anywhere I go.  I know that's an unrealistic expectation on my part, but hey, I'm closer to death now than I am to my birth, so I don't give a farg whose feelings I hurt.

Diomedes

I don't see a lot of worry about balancing your right to drive a Hummer against my right to clean air.  Wonder why?

Nor do I see a lot of worry about my ability to be healthy being balanced against your right to eat like a goddamn pig.  But my eating doesn't affect you, you'll cry through your double quarter pounder.  Wrong.  It is proven fact that richer people are more healthy than poorer people.  It is also proven fact that health care for obese Americans costs far more than for healthy people--as much as a third more if I recall--and that cost is being subsidized by healthy people like me.  In short, fat people are sapping the ability of healthy people to pursue the happiness guaranteed to them by our highest law. You may call this argument a stretch, and of course I agree, but the point I make is that the stretch is only one of a degree further than the one being made regarding smoking.

You don't like the smoking, don't smoke, and don't hang with smokers.  Banning smoking outdoors, firing smokers, etc....farging fascist crap akin to doing the same to fat people.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

I agree with everything you posted.

That still doesn't mean I like smelling your secondhand smoke when I'm eating two doubles at Five Guys or walking out of a public building or sitting on a beach or walking down a ramp at a stadium.  No non-smoker does, Dio.

I'm not saying that people should be fired for smoking or that smoking/dipping should be illegal.  It shouldn't and people shouldn't be discriminated against in any way because they partake in a legal activity.  I'm saying I detest it, it makes me sick to smell it, and I don't give a flying farg if that hurts a smoker/dipper's feelings.

Diomedes

Great, let's argue for shteins.

I don't care if you don't like it.  I don't like the way your goddamn cologne smells, but I have little farging choice on that.

Also, I don't smoke, haven't for 2 years this coming April Fool's Day.  Yes, the date was deliberate.  You don't have to smoke to observe that people who complain about smokers of all things are crying entitled nancies.

boo hoo hoo, your smoke offends my tender sensibilities, waa
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Diomedes on January 01, 2012, 11:34:00 AM
Great, let's argue for shteins.

I don't care if you don't like it.  I don't like the way your goddamn cologne smells, but I have little farging choice on that.

Also, I don't smoke, haven't for 2 years this coming April Fool's Day.  Yes, the date was deliberate.  You don't have to smoke to observe that people who complain about smokers of all things are crying entitled nancies.

boo hoo hoo, your smoke offends my tender sensibilities, waa

Yeah and what about the smokers who douse themselves in cologne to cover up the smoke smell and they end up reeking like a whorehouse?

Diomedes

Rome

Obviously that won't work. 

Ovens, on the other hand...

SunMo

Quote from: Rome on January 01, 2012, 12:02:54 PM
Obviously that won't work. 

Ovens, on the other hand...

no good, more smoke
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Geowhizzer