Eagles Sign Seven To Practice Squad

Started by Rome, September 05, 2005, 08:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Quote from: Sgt PSN on September 06, 2005, 08:44:34 AM
Quote from: Diomedes on September 06, 2005, 08:37:34 AM
From MURP's post about Alonzo Jackson:

QuoteBreaks down well...

What does that mean? I've seen that before, but I have no idea what they're talking about.

It's the term used when referring to a defender squaring himself up to make a tackle, especially when going after a QB.

Example, if you get a clear shot at the QB, instead of running full speed at him you "break down" and square your body to him. That way if the QB decides to take off running you will be able to change your direction instead of just running right by him.

Thanks.  Obviously, I never played football.  Otherwise I'd know this stuff.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Larry

If Jackson shows any sort of ability, he'll be promoted to the active roster straightaway--and probably at the expense of Thornburg or *gulp* Mahe.  It's difficult to keep a pass-rushing DE on the PS for the whole season.
More Mahe please.

phillywin2k5

so again why didnt they sign Martin Patterson to the PS?
if you take advice from people in the 700 level, you'll find yourself sitting next to them -- Buddy Ryan

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: phillywin2k5 on September 06, 2005, 09:43:34 AM
so again why didnt they sign Martin Patterson to the PS?

Apparently, he flagged significantly the last couple weeks of the pre-season.  The Eagles feel they have enough youth at LB as it stands now, so he wasn't worth a spot on the PS to them.

Cerevant

Quote from: Larry on September 06, 2005, 09:39:43 AM
If Jackson shows any sort of ability, he'll be promoted to the active roster straightaway--and probably at the expense of Thornburg or *gulp* Mahe.  It's difficult to keep a pass-rushing DE on the PS for the whole season.
Then why put him on the PS instead of the active roster to begin with?

C
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Wingspan

Quote from: Diomedes on September 06, 2005, 08:37:34 AM
From MURP's post about Alonzo Jackson:

QuoteBreaks down well...

What does that mean?  I've seen that before, but I have no idea what they're talking about.

he's very regular.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Wingspan

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Larry

Quote from: Cerevant on September 06, 2005, 10:09:06 AM

C

Cause he hasn't proven anything yet here.
More Mahe please.

Cerevant

Quote from: Larry on September 06, 2005, 11:03:26 AM
Quote from: Cerevant on September 06, 2005, 10:09:06 AM

C

Cause he hasn't proven anything yet here.

Then why would the team be so quick to toss someone who (apparently) has shown something and made the AR?  If my boy JT is so expendable, then why is he on the team and not the PS?

C
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Larry

Who said Thomas was expendable?  The roster has 4 RBs and 5 Safeties because of Wynn's injury.   I see them going with 5 DEs once Wynn is ready to go.

RDE is the weak point of this team.   Reid is throwing a bunch of bodies in there in hopes that someone sticks.  If Jackson shows any sort of ability as a pass rusher, he will be promoted soon.

Edit:  I see you meant Thornburg  :-D :-X....Simply stated, pass rushers are more valuable than special teamers.
More Mahe please.

shorebird

Quote from: FFatPatt on September 06, 2005, 07:53:12 AM
I understand that Perry compares favorably to Mahe, but why everyone on this board is giving him word fellatio every time he's brought up is beyond me. He will never be more than a fringe-of-the-roster player/backup in the NFL.

I don't think anyone is getting anymore excited about him than you are about people mentioning him. He was a Terp, I watched him his whole career, and he's also a Philly native, which might be one reason that some fans take a shine to him. Not to mention that I think he could be a valueable asset to the roster as a backup RB, and punt returner, IF he can avoid injury. You haven't really seen what he can or can't do. I'll ask you again, what is it that makes you think all he'll ever be is a scrub?

Diomedes

Quote from: shorebird on September 06, 2005, 09:19:18 PMwhat is it that makes you think all he'll ever be is a scrub?

Well, he hasn't shown me anything particularly interesting so far.  That's number one.  Number two, I go with the odds.  Chances are, he'll never do shtein.  He's beaten such incredible odds to get this far, not much chance he does better.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

shorebird

Even though it was against backups, he had a real good game against the Jets, although I know probably nobody watched it but me.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Dio's a realist.

All I know is that the guy was coughing up the rock in a game he knew was going to be make-or-break for his NFL career and that he was quickly cut in favor of a waiver wire RB.  The odds are against him.

Plus, Moats p\/\/nZ.

Diomedes

I live in the Bronx, so it was on television up here.  I watched.  He looked pretty good.  In a preseason game.  Lets not get crazy about it.