FLYERS 2005-06 SEASON THREAD!

Started by PhillyGirl, August 28, 2005, 12:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

ill stick to my guns:
esche- sabres in 7
nitty- flyers in 6

make the right move and go with the kid.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

The BIGSTUD

Yes, sweep, and I would've made a little avatar bet if anyone wanted, but it looks like we won't be playing them just yet. I'll hold it off until(if) we meet. That is, if the Devils get out of the first round.  ;)
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

BigEd76

We're looking at another 2nd round matchup with the Senators unless the Rangers knock the Devils out...then we'll get the Hurricanes...

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 18, 2006, 10:04:44 PM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on April 18, 2006, 10:02:37 PM
The Devils will destroy us, they're the last team I want to face in the 1st round right now. I'll take my chances vs. the Sabres or Rangers.

We'd sweep the Devils actually. They are going to melt away when they get into the playoffs. This whole streak is a total fluke. They don't have nearly enough scoring to get anywhere in the playoffs, and Brodeur has choked in the playoffs as of late.

I don't have anything to back me up except wait and see, but the Devils are playing WAY WAAAAAY over their heads right now. They have nowhere else to go but down, and down they will go.

Weren't you the same person who was trying to tell me Esche was better than Luongo?

Either way, the Devils are the hottest team in the league right now. Brodeur has multiple SC trophies and is one of the top 5 goalies to ever play the game. They've got a potent offense that should scare the hell out of any team. You're delusional.

The BIGSTUD

Sounds good to me. The Senators suck. We owned them this year.

The only team I would be a little nervous about facing is Carolina, but that's a long way aways yet.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

The BIGSTUD

Quote from: SD_Eagle on April 18, 2006, 10:09:41 PM
Quote from: Philly Forever on April 18, 2006, 10:04:44 PM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on April 18, 2006, 10:02:37 PM
The Devils will destroy us, they're the last team I want to face in the 1st round right now. I'll take my chances vs. the Sabres or Rangers.

We'd sweep the Devils actually. They are going to melt away when they get into the playoffs. This whole streak is a total fluke. They don't have nearly enough scoring to get anywhere in the playoffs, and Brodeur has choked in the playoffs as of late.

I don't have anything to back me up except wait and see, but the Devils are playing WAY WAAAAAY over their heads right now. They have nowhere else to go but down, and down they will go.

Weren't you the same person who was trying to tell me Esche was better than Luongo?

Either way, the Devils are the hottest team in the league right now. Brodeur has multiple SC trophies and is one of the top 5 goalies to ever play the game. They've got a potent offense that should scare the hell out of any team. You're delusional.

In the NHL more than any other league that has a playoff series, teams tend to go from cold to hot and hot to cold faster than any other league.

Look at the Flames last year, and the early upsets in hockey all the time. The Devils are doomed to choke.

SD_Eagle5

Here's the way I look at the Flyers chances in the playoffs:

No chance vs. the Devils or the Lightning
Could beat with some luck and a hot Goalie: Sens (seasons record vs. them means nothing at this point) Canes, Sabres, Rangers
Team we should beat: Habs. 

The BIGSTUD

This is the way I see it:

Easy advance: Tampa, NYR, Montreal
A bit tougher: Buffalo, NJ
Tough, hard fought series, but we win: Carolina, Ottawa

Bottom line, I said earlier we win the cup, and I can't back away from that after the road looks a bit tough. Anyone can go back on their predictions.

BigEd76

The Flyers struggled with Montreal too.  I'd put it this way:

Easy advance: NYR
Tough but possible: everyone else

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 18, 2006, 10:22:18 PM
This is the way I see it:

Easy advance: Tampa, NYR, Montreal
A bit tougher: Buffalo, NJ
Tough, hard fought series, but we win: Carolina, Ottawa

Bottom line, I said earlier we win the cup, and I can't back away from that after the road looks a bit tough. Anyone can go back on their predictions.

Tampa will absolutely destroy us. I could care less about their place in the standings, we don't match up well with them at all. In fact, I think they'd sweep us.

The BIGSTUD

Oh, please. Tampa sucks. The regular season is a different game from the playoffs. How many times in sports has a team beat up on someone all regular season only to have it reversed in the playoffs? Too many to count. Especially when the team being owned in the regular season is the higher seed.

The better team wins in the playoffs, bottom line. I'd gladly take Tampa. They aren't seeded higher for a reason. They aren't very good.

SD_Eagle5

We don't have one favorable matchup against Tampa. They're much too fast for us and have our number.

The BIGSTUD

The playoffs aren't about speed, they are about physicality. Matchups don't really matter in the playoffs, anyway. It's about goaltending.

They could be 5 times faster than us and I wouldn't care. In a series they couldn't grind it out with us. The only way I see us losing that series is if Forsberg gets hurt in it.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 18, 2006, 10:37:55 PM
The playoffs aren't about speed, they are about physicality. Matchups don't really matter in the playoffs, anyway. It's about goaltending.

They could be 5 times faster than us and I wouldn't care. In a series they couldn't grind it out with us. The only way I see us losing that series is if Forsberg gets hurt in it.

Did you just start watching Hockey? The playoffs are more about speed then they are about physical play, otherwise the Flyers would have won a cup by now. Not too mention, the 'New' NHL is all about speed, it's essential. The Lightning would skate circles around our slow ass D just like every team with decent speed does. And you're right about one thing, the playoffs are all about Goaltending, unfortunately I have zero confidence in either of ours.

The BIGSTUD

The reason the Flyers haven't won a cup by now is because of goaltending and goal scoring, not defense. The Flyers have always been solid defensively, so skating around our team hasn't been an issue. We didn't have the quality goalie to lead our team to a parade, and the last few years we didn't have the scoring. Especially before Hitch got here, and the dump and chase years.