FLYERS 2005-06 SEASON THREAD!

Started by PhillyGirl, August 28, 2005, 12:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Rome

Yeah, as a Magic fan, I should never expect the worst.

:-D :-D

Anyway, I don't think Buffalo is significantly superior to the Flyers in any regard.  They're pretty evenly matched, actually.

Expecting nothing but doom from them in this series is unrealistic based on what we saw the other nite.  The Flyers played lousy and the Sabres played about as well as they can. 

The result?  3-2 Sabres in 2-OT's.  Not exactly a blow-out by any means.

SunMo

Buffalo is faster and has more scoring than the Flyers, how is that evenly matched?

PoopyfaceMcGee

The Flyers' defense is bigger and slower, so the Flyers are automatically better.

SunMo

they're bigger, but at least they got out hit

ice grillin you

everyone keeps saying how bad the flyers played...i dont think they played horribly...territorially it wasnt that much of a difference...the shot discrepency was due to the fact that when buffalo gets in the offensive zone they have the superior speed and talent to get shots...where as the flyers spend half their time working the corners and boards and just hoping to come out of the possesion with a shot...meanwhile buffalo is skating at will in the offensive end peppering shots on goal
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

The Flyers scored 263 goals in the regular season and the Sabres scored 276.  A whopping 13 goal differential over 82 games.  Not exactly a major difference.

As for Buffalo's speed, yes, it's greater than the Flyers.  How does that alone make them significantly better overall?

ice grillin you

buffalo is better in every aspect of the game than the flyers...except for possibly in goal...but that mostly has to do with experience not talent

the only place the flyers have an advantage over buffalo is that they have arguably the best player in the world in forsberg...which is why their only chance to win any games is if forsberg takes it over and sets up/scores three or four goals

so you ask why buffalo is better overall...because they are better at everything than the flyers

thats not to say the flyers arent in their league or anything but in the end over a seven game series buffalos talent will win
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Philly_Crew

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 24, 2006, 03:27:13 PM
buffalo is better in every aspect of the game than the flyers...except for possibly in goal...but that mostly has to do with experience not talent

the only place the flyers have an advantage over buffalo is that they have arguably the best player in the world in forsberg...which is why their only chance to win any games is if forsberg takes it over and sets up/scores three or four goals

so you ask why buffalo is better overall...because they are better at everything than the flyers

thats not to say the flyers arent in their league or anything but in the end over a seven game series buffalos talent will win

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  NO!   AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

PhillyPhreak54

I didn't think the Flyers played as horrible as some think as well.

Obviously the Sabres have more speed. We knew that. A lot of teams have more speed than the Flyers.

One thing that bothers me is when people talk about how they were lucky it wasn't 5-1 or worse and they got lucky because the goalie played so well. The goalie is part of the game and the team. Him playing well doesn't equate to luck. It was a great performance.

If Forsberg doesn't turn it over, take a bad penalty or hit the open net. Or if Kapanen's shot is 2cm's to the left - they win.

one other thing I would like to see and I wonder why Hitch does this. Maybe some of you puckheads can enlighten me...

Why play Rathje and Hatcher at the same time? They are both plodding defenseman. And they are both hurting. Why not split them up? Put them with a younger/faster/healthier guy and see how that works.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Philly_Crew on April 24, 2006, 04:02:14 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 24, 2006, 03:27:13 PM

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  NO!   AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Forget it, he's rolling.

PhillyPhreak54

PhillyPhreak54

And Brashear is a healthy scratch.

Eager in for him.

Radovojevic or however the farg you spell it is in for Umberger

NGM

An interesting point made by Rich Hoffman today and just echoed by Dornhockfeerrrr.  The Flyers missed a total of 50 shots 23 complete misses and 27 blocked which lead to a lot of breaks for Buffalo.  Also Buffalo had 92 total shots attempted the Flyers had 82. 

I will use anything at this point to stay optimistic.
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

BigEd76

1-0 Buffalo less than 2 minutes into the game, and they're being dominated again...  :boom