Video game thread

Started by mussa, March 15, 2005, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

phattymatty

i know the xbox format changed like weeks or even months ago, but i just started using it again and wow it is slick.

the espn app is pretty awesome, i had like 6 college basketball games going on at once last night.

phattymatty

Quote from: mussa on December 08, 2011, 12:03:18 PM
NBA2K11 is like the Madden series in that you have to play the shtein out of it to get good. Its not a game you can pick up and get good at. You'll eventually get the jump shot down. Go into practice mode and they give you a meter if its early, late or just right. That's a good way to get warmed up before a game. My player mode is really cool if you haven't tried it yet. Go into youtube and search for my player strategies, it will save you a ton of time and frustration if you pick the right kind of player and drills to start off.

agreed, i just started playing again because i was home sick for a few days...jump shots are definitely tough. and you have to kind of know the motions of each players as there seems to be a different sweet spot for each player depending on their follow through. it's still amazing to me how realistic it is though. i use the thunder a lot and for example durant's shot is has a pretty quick shot release whereas most guys have a slightly slower release.

maybe i'm just not that good at it, but most of my games end up being pretty close. have no idea what difficulty level i'm playing at though. a nice alley oop in that game though is still one of the coolest things i've ever seen in a sports game.

General_Failure

I gave OnLive a shot today. Played a couple of half hour trials for games my laptop just can't handle. Looked great, played pretty good, too. I could see it being problematic if your internet plan is capped or slow, but it sure was nice to play games at 60 fps with all the settings turned up.

The man. The myth. The legend.

General_Failure

Quote from: General_Failure on October 30, 2011, 03:43:55 PM
I found a copy of Madden '08, which seems to be the last football game with a PC version. It still sucks compared to 2k5, but everything does. I simmed my way up to this season, and it got a little weird. I traded McNabb for J.P. Losman, who has become a Pro Bowl QB. He's throwing to Reggie Brown and LJ Smith, both Pro Bowlers. Chris Gocong is leading the league with interceptions and is considered an NFL icon.

I've now simmed my way up to the 2020 season. Coach Tom Nalen just retired after having won 3 Lobardis in 4 seasons, beating coach Tom Brady's Saints in the NFCCG twice to do it. My custom fullback Dick Cheese retired after his 14th season with 22,000+ rushing yards.

I'm curious to see how many yearly upgrades there are for the stadiums. This offseason it was holographic goal posts.

Also, Steam has Skyrim for 33% off during their midweek madness sale.

General_Failure

The demo for Mass Effect 3 came out the other day, and yesterday the multiplayer part was open to everyone. The demo itself was good, maybe an hour long, and the multiplayer part was surprisingly not bad. It gives me hope that one day Bioware might make a game with a co-op mode.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

Too annoying, didn't watch. Instead, here's TotalBiscuit's take on the issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM

Zanshin

Gamefly had a sale and I was able to grab LA Noire for $6, including shipping.

It's necessarily linear for a Rockstar game, which makes sense considering the genre it's trying to emulate. I think that was a turn off for people expecting more of the open world experience. It's really more about the plot, clues and reading facial expressions (which are very good) than about action.

I like it quite a bit, especially factoring the sale.

hbionic

So, what's the final verdict, was Dead Island any good?
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

SD

Quote from: hbionic on February 29, 2012, 02:53:48 AM
So, what's the final verdict, was Dead Island any good?

I didn't like it

SunMo

I got Rage for xmas and even though I didn't like it that much I stuck it through to the end and i was rewarded with one of the worst game endings of all time.

Played and beat Battlefield in a weekend, I like how involved the storylines are for games like that, i just wish they lasted longer.  i know the real draw for those games is the online, but a little more campaign would be nice.  i played a few games online and i don't like it compared to COD, but i'm sure i just need to get used to it.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Zanshin

I completely agree. I like the "war" games for the campaigns, because playing multiplayer online in those games literally gives me a headache. But I can't ever really justify buying them, because the campaigns are so short.

phattymatty

i borrowed the latest batman from a friend at work and it was pretty fun. although i only played a few hours and hit the ending credits without finishing all the side missions. actually even some big ones, never even found riddler.  seemed pretty dumb.

however, my attention span is so short that it's the first time i ever saw the ending credits of a video game. even if i was only 40% through i felt satisfied. fun  game though.

mussa

I got Skyrim. What a mistake. Can't put down the damn controller  :paranoid
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"