Video game thread

Started by mussa, March 15, 2005, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

Somebody lent me Halo 2, and I didn't have any problem getting into the swing.  I'd be surprised if this was different.  There's a website that brings you up to speed on the story out there.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: SunMo on September 27, 2007, 04:14:46 PM
i'm going to eventually get Halo, but the question is this, do you have to have played the previous versions to be able to play this one?  i've never played the game before
The controls are like any other fps (right trigger shoot, left trigger grenades), since this is your first time playing it you'll have a small easy learning curve. Parts 1 & 2 are really good and backwards compatible if you wanted to get up to speed on the story. I saw part 1 at GS for 10-15$ and part 2 for around $20. The story gets a little more complex as the games go on so you might not know whats going on (story wise) if you jump right into 3. It feels more like you're living a 15 hour movie moreso than you're playing a game. I love the campaign but a lot of people just buy it for the online which is equally awesome. The maps, controls, weapons, and head to head matchups are why the game has such a long lasting effect on fans.

PoopyfaceMcGee

mussa

I am new to halo series also and its pretty easy to jump into as far as controls go. played a few co-op missions with 2 other friends in campaign mode and had a blast. multi-player online is cool too, but its going to take awhile to get as good as some of the people on there, just like any other similar game.

to compare halo and bioshock, is tough. since halo has such a great background and hype, it will prob win the hearts of the fans. bioshock was just so different and to me the graphics are way better looking than halo's. the thing is i rented bioshock and got about halfway, i really have no need to buy it and finish it. maybe later i'll buy it used and beat it. halo is a game where i can see myself playing it alot. if bioshock had some sort of online play then maybe it wins out in my book.

Call of Duty 4 is supposed to be the bomb though. When is the release date on that?
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

SD_Eagle5

I played the campaign on normal just to get through it once, it was way too short and the ending sucked. Then I sat through the credits like I do for most games I beat and saw the real ending. Was better but I was still left a little disappointed. I'm probably gonna start it on Heroic soon and try to find the skulls they have hidden throughout the game. The actual gameplay is top notch.

Zanshin

I broke down and bought it.  I'm not much of a fps guy, but it's a good game.  Haven't tried online yet.  Problem is, all of those fps games give me a  pretty significant headache after a half hour or so.

The BIGSTUD

Wasn't a big fan of the campaign, but Halo was never about the campaign. Bioshock's was far superior to Halo 3's, but Halo 3 is all about multiplayer.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

Zanshin

Just tried it online for the first time last night, and the dude I was playing sniped the crap out of me.  Any online tips?

mussa

play people who are on the same experience level. i can hold my own with people who are knew to the game. in fact i win most of the games with people who are about the same experience. those who have played 1 and 2 though are real good at this point. im a fan on the fps games so, if you know how one works, they all are pretty similar. the more you play online, the better you get.
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Diomedes

Quote from: Zanshin on October 01, 2007, 02:00:23 PM
Just tried it online for the first time last night, and the dude I was playing sniped the crap out of me.  Any online tips?

suffer through weeks and weeks of getting owned until you're good enough to run with the south korean junkies.

online fps games can really suck because of how fanatic people are....these morons do nothing but drink red bull and play shoot 'em up.  they know every spawn point every weapon every nook and cranny, and unless you wanna be like them you're flat out not gonna have a good time playing

I stopped fps online at Quake 4 (or maybe it was 3..who cares) because I wasn't interested in being constantly frustrated by people who have nothing better to do than camp newbies
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

The BIGSTUD

Halo usually puts you in a game with the same experience level on matchmaking, so it doesn't get that bad.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

Diomedes

perhaps my complaint has been resolved since I last played online

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD_Eagle5

I used to play in HALO tournaments on my ship and do pretty good, wasn't the best but I held my own. 3 years ago I was over my 16 year old cousins house during the holidays and jumped online with him and his friends to play, thats when reality hit me that I was nothing compared to these little geeks that play 24/7. They knew where I was going to respawn and would wait or snipe me when I did.

Zanshin

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever play with strangers...only people I know...or, in the case of this board, "know".  I've pretty much gotten to that point with Madden, too.

As far as Halo online goes, I played the same guy last night and fared much better. He ended up beating me, but it was a more respectible 10-9.  First time I played I stood still too much.

mussa

I love the grenade kill and the beat down is always fun too.

Zanshin we'll have to get a game of campaign going sometime. me and my other buddy have been beating level after level and having a blast doing it. you can play with up to 4 players. plus its getting pretty hard now, we'll need a 4th guy soon