Another LJ joining the birds?

Started by mikey418, September 28, 2004, 08:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troyhstewart

Quote from: Larry on September 28, 2004, 11:26:41 AM
Don't PSU RBs have the same rep as Florida WRs?  :-D

I don't remember him playing much, but Eddie Drummond played for PSU.

And Eric McCoo led the league* in rushing.  :paranoid

NFLE

hunt

Quote from: troyhstewart on September 28, 2004, 11:44:13 AM
Quote from: Larry on September 28, 2004, 11:26:41 AM
Don't PSU RBs have the same rep as Florida WRs?  :-D

I don't remember him playing much, but Eddie Drummond played for PSU.

And Eric McCoo led the league* in rushing.  :paranoid

NFLE

and richie anderson looked pretty good last night.  ;D
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

MURP

speaking of, did he win the horse trailer last night?

MDS

I would welcome LJ here, but I cant see us giving up too much for him with so many teams desperate for a RB.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

phillymic2000

Quote from: mhunt on September 28, 2004, 10:37:16 AM
i know it won't happen but i'd take him at the right price. :paranoid

LJ hasn't had a chance to show anything in the nfl so i think it's way too early to write him off...bucky is gone at the end of the season...levens is 50 years old...mahe is mahe...and isn't westbrook a free agent too???
they'll need another RB for next season so why not LJ???...and they might be able to get some use out of him later this season after he learns the offense.

okay...you can make fun of me now. :sly

I just don't want to part with a LB or anyone on the D side of the ball.

Drunkmasterflex

It would make little sense for the Eagles to pick up LJ at this point he hasn't played in this system and it would take him a while to get acclimated.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

since75

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on September 28, 2004, 08:56:51 AM
Mikey im trying to find the article i saw last night but it was basically the same article except there was a line that said "The eagles have flatly declined any offers",  the article said the eagles werent interested and i dont think LJ's attitude would fit in...

I do agree in this case, but caution to "never say never." All summer I was telling people on the official site's message board that Trotter would "never" be picked back up by the Eagles. After being forced to eat those words with a side of crow...I stopped predicting things completely in terms of personell.
Trust, but Verify-RWR

Rome

Why would Andy take a chance on an underachieving, ultrasensitive (read: whiny Hoyda) malcontent like Johnson who's only claim to fame is being referred to as an "infant" by a coach who's nearly universally acclaimed as the ultimate "player's coach?"

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

RomeyRome

I'd do it for a 4th or lower, or maybe Pinkston :paranoid 

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on September 28, 2004, 02:56:21 PM
The real LJ is on Sportsnation taking questions right now
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=6032

I friggin' hate the way ESPN is slowing moving all their shtein over to Insider.

PhillyPhreak54

I'd trade them Billy McMullen and a 5th.

I simply cannot see Reid acquiring a guy like this right now. I mean, he just said that Thomas Tapeh might not play a lot because the picking up of the offense is holding him back. So they'd go out and trade for not only a young guy, but a young guy with no WCO experience? I doubt it.

Seabiscuit36

I would go McMullen or Pinky and a fifth....But i really dont thing he fits this team's philosophy, he'll want the rock and that rock gets thrown more than ran

As for our LJ heres a transcript for those w/o insider

QuoteChat with Eagles TE L.J. Smith!

Welcome to The Show! On Tuesday, Philadelphia Eagles tight end L.J. Smith will stop by to talk about the Eagles 3-0 start, playing with Terrell Owens and much more.
Smith, the Eagles second round draft pick in 2003, is off to a fast start with 10 catches for 150 yards and two touchdowns.

Send in your questions and comments to L.J. now, and join him in The Show on Tuesday!

Buzzmaster: Hey everyone, how's it going? L.J. will be here in just a few minutes .. hang tight.

L.J. Smith: I am here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pete (washington, dc): L.J. - As a huge Eagles fan I'm so excited about the great start to your season and the teams, congratulations! How is your shoulder feeling and can you play this week?

L.J. Smith: My shoulder is hurting right now. It's just a bruise on my bone. I'm day to day right now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cayne (Federal Way, WA): LJ, congratulations on your team's early successes and thank you for taking my question. Do you consider yourself among the elite players at your position? Should LJ Smith be mentioned with the likes of Tony Gonzalez, Jeremy Shockey, Bubba Franks, Alge Crumpler...?

L.J. Smith: You know what, I look at film and I consider myself to have just as much ability as any TE in the league. I'll leave that to the critics to decide.

Brian (Berlin, NJ): LJ...Hello! Fellow RU alumn (Class of '96). Great to see you thriving in the NFL w/my home town Eagles. Also, you are the starting TE on many of my fantasy teams. Any chance of you talking to DNABB about hitting you instead of Bartrum next time both of you are wide open in the end zone? Thanks!

L.J. Smith: (Laughing) I haven't talked to him about that but I would appreciate that too! That would have been three games in a row with a TD. We ran that play last year against New Orleans and last year he hit Ritchie! So maybe if we do it again ..

Kyle Crater (Philadelphia, Pa.): In what ways has Chad Lewis helped you become a better tight end? In what ways have you taught Chad Lewis to become a better tight end? ...WHEN CAN I BUY YOUR JERSEY???

L.J. Smith: Basically just being positive. They brought me in to eventually start and Chad knows that but he has been a positive influence. He's always giving me positive advice. It makes the whole situation a lot better.

Mike (Boston): LJ, let's get this out of the way already...the guys in the locker room giving you a hard time about the "TD celebration" with Mike Bartrum?

L.J. Smith: Mike, that was not planned! When he was on the ground I went over to congratulate him and before I knew it he was bent over. I wanted to push him over but I didn't know what to do.

Andrew (Philadelphia, PA): L.J., It's safe to say that you, Donovan, Terrell, and the Eagles all totally kick ass. For how long do you intend to continue kicking this ass and how do you think your future opponents will feel about getting their asses kicked?

L.J. Smith: (Laughing) Hopefully we can continue that success throughout the season. It's hard, people are already talking about 16-0. But it's hard to win in the NFL. But if we stay healthy, we have a good chance to win a lot of games.

Mike, Wilmington, DE: It seemed like both you and McNabb had a slow start last season. Did you and he work on anything different to establish better chemistry for such a great start this season. ps - i wish i kept you on my ffb team from last season

L.J. Smith: I don't know. Myself, I worked hard and did a lot of route running and working on my overall game trying to understand defenses more. That's about it. I had a good minicamp and training camp and that helped.

Bobby, Fredonia NY: L.J., from a teammate's standpoint, what's it like to play with Terrell Owens, and what do you think are some misconceptions of T.O.?

L.J. Smith: Yeah, the public has a misconception about TO. He's a quite dude. Being an all-pro and coming to a new team, it's hard. You don't know how to fit in. But he started off with Donovan and then everyone else opened up to him.

Ian Duffy (Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ): Do you consider yourself the best football player to come out of Rutgers University in the past decade?

L.J. Smith: In the past decade? Yeah, why not!

Adam-Traverse City, MI: McNabb obviously picked Detroits defense apart in the first half. What adjustments did you see the Lions make in the second half? Also, after seeing Roy Williams first-hand what were your initial thoughts? Thanks and good luck next week...as if you need it...

L.J. Smith: I pretty much sat out towards the end of that game so I'm not real sure. I know on our side we stopped trying to hit the HRs down the field. We were more conservative and they doubled TO a lot.

Casey (Lancaster, PA): How do you feel about ESPN's Merril Hoge saying the Eagles still won't make the playoffs after week 2?

L.J. Smith: When did he say that? As players we try not to pay attention to that. People say things to get a reaction.

O from State College: Coming out of Rutgers, I would think a person with your talents, exceptional skills and build would have been highly projected (top 15 to be exact). Why do you think teams did not see you as they see Kellen Winslow Jr. this year?

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

BrianWestbrook36

The Bucs seem the best candidate so far to get him.

They have Mccardell Chiefs need a WR, the Chiefs have LJ, Bucs need a RB. I love LJ. I'm a PSU fan and his 2,000 yard season was magical. I think given the blocking, and touches he can be a very good player in this league, and I would love him on the Eagles, but I wouldn't offer more than a 3rd and our 3rd not the one from the Chiefs. For one he is in a different system than here, it would take a while for him to fit in and he's inexperienced.

Even Steven Eagles in 04.

Seabiscuit36

QuoteL.J. Smith: I was the third TE picked. So I wasn't really overlooked. The year before was a big TE draft so a lot of teams probably weren't looking for another TE.

Greg, Chadds Ford PA: LJ, how does it feel to be on an offense that is clicking on all cylinders, as opposed to last year where the offense appeared to sputter at times? And what do you attribute that too?

L.J. Smith: Our confidence level is just so high right now. Guys just want to make plays and are calling for the ball all the time. Everyone knows TO is going to get doubled so they want the ball.

TC (NYC): LJ, you said your shoulder is hurting. If you had to play today, could you? Can you raise your arm over your head?

L.J. Smith: No.

Adam (Voorhees, NJ): L.J., The 3-0 start has a lot of people overlooking the season-ending injries to the four starters (Kalu, Andrews, Buckhalter, and Richie). Realistically, how much is missing these guys going to affect the team? Go Birds!

L.J. Smith: We had to resign another fullback so that has helped. As long as we don't suffer too many injuries, we will be OK. We have to keep our core guys healthy.

Chris (Philly, PA): With Ritchie out, do you think Andy Reid will utilize your size as a blocking back, or will you just continue to shine as a TE, by the way, that was a great TD catch last week against Minnesota.

L.J. Smith: Hopefully not! We replaced Ritchie so we should be OK.

Saurabh (Horsham, PA): LJ, thanks for making me feel like an idiot for having dropped you before Week 1 in my fantasy league for an extra RB. Here's my question for ya, do you guys have any nicknames for Coach Reid in the locker room?

L.J. Smith: Big Red!

Nate (NYC): Being in the league only a short time, is the NFL as tough as you expected, or easier. It's seems you have made an easy transition... Also, who has hit you the hardest so far in the league?

L.J. Smith: It's as tough as I expected. The biggest thing is just realizing the stage is so big. You turn on the TV and it's nothing but football. It's just huge. We are always in the limelight.

Leo (Lincoln): Who is the leader in the Eagles locker room and who is the most outspoken?

L.J. Smith: Hugh Douglas is the most outspoken.

Curious: what does the LJ stand for?

L.J. Smith: Little John.

Tim, Fairfax, VA: Does the offense have any beef between players about ball distribution, or is everyone happy with their invovlement?

L.J. Smith: Everybody would like five passes a game but there are no beefs. When you are winning, everyone is happy.

Manfred Casanova (Newport News,VA): In the preseason Don drilled a pass into your chest for a touchdown..did it hurt? Has anyone injured themselves catching a ball from Don?

L.J. Smith: No! My pass didn't hurt and I don't know of anyone getting hurt.

nuch, east burg pa: do you believe that you guys can go undefeated this year?

L.J. Smith: I think we could, yeah. That's just the confidence we have right now. I think we go into every game thinking we can win.

Nate (NYC): LJ, Geno's or Pat's?

L.J. Smith: I've been to Pats but haven't been to Geno's. I hear Geno's is greasy. Pat's is OK. There is place where I'm from call Highland Pizza .. they have the best cheesesteaks and I've tasted all of them.

Marc (Jesup, GA): L.J., so many people have different perceptions about the kind of leadership Andy Reid gives you guys; what kind of coach do you think he truly is?

L.J. Smith: He's a good guy first of all. He only screams when he has to. He's a quite coach and will correct you when you need to be corrected.

CHRIS, FISERV PA: HOW LOUD IS IT DOWN ON THE FIELD AT THE LINC THIS YEAR?

L.J. Smith: Oh man, it gets really loud. If I"m on the sideline on third down, I have to get right in someones ear to talk to them. It's so loud.

Brett (Harrisburg): LJ, what are your plans for the bye week after Sunday?

L.J. Smith: I might go visit a friend in L.A. Maybe two days and see how it is out there. Never been.

Steve Nebraska: Can you get my Terrell Owen's autograph? You can send one of yourself if you want. Thanks.

L.J. Smith: (Laughing) Come to the stadium! Or send him card and tell him you are a friend of L.J.!

JD (san antonio): Hey, LJ, what players have you modeled your game after? Who influenced you? Will you play this weekend?

L.J. Smith: Not really. I just try to play my game. I do watch all the different TEs though to see what they do.

Mike (Los Angeles): Everyone is worried about the young corners, is there something there or has Troy Vincent and Bobby Talyor prepared these guys enough to get them to the next level. E-A-G-L-E-S!!

L.J. Smith: We can get to the next level with what we have. They are doing a great job and will just get better.

Klay, Austin: Are you staying after the Dallas MNF game to sign autographs?

L.J. Smith: (Laughing) Maybe!

Charles San Francisco: Have the eagles discussed contract extension with you? Typically they like to lock-up rising stars before they become RR's. What the interest on your side?

L.J. Smith: Not yet. If you are saying they should, I appreciate that.

Andrew (Frederick, MD): LJ..Donovan says he prefers Trotter's "Woodchopper" to To's "Flying Eagle." Do you have any preference? Also, has anyone talked to Donovan about improving his Michael Jackson routine?

L.J. Smith: I have no clue!