NFL owners discuss spring games, expanded regular season

Started by eaglegene, October 15, 2008, 05:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglegene

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5....eo&confirm=true

NFL owners discuss spring games, expanded regular season
Associated Press

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. --
NFL owners discussed playing spring preseason games as part of a possible expansion of the regular-season schedule.

No action was taken by the owners as they wrapped up the NFL Fall Meeting on Wednesday. No change in the regular-season schedule is expected for 2009.

"I think the focus was on how do we prepare for the season," commissioner Roger Goodell said. "Football readiness was probably the No. 1 issue that everyone wanted to do further analysis on. We still have a lot more work to do on the analysis."

Spring games, normally an intrasquad contest, have become commonplace in college football. Some top programs have capacity crowds for the game.

"It was raised by a few clubs," Goodell said. "More in the context of what the colleges do."

The NFL spring games could be in the form of a scrimmage or matchup between two teams.

Goodell said that prevailing feeling was that if the schedule is expanded, it should go to 18 games, not 17.

Should the expanded regular season get approved, one or two preseason games would be eliminated.

Pittsburgh chairman Dan Rooney believes a new regular season schedule with 17 or 18 games could come about in the next few years. He also continues to oppose expanding the playoff field if a new schedule model is approved.

"I'm totally against that," Rooney said. "We have enough games now in the playoffs."

Goodell said a playoff expansion review will be part of the overall evaluation.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press  
"A true Philadelphia fan learns to boo before he learns to speak"

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

shorebird

Yes, nice read.  Pre-season is way too long.

Man, stop posting in teal, we know who you are.

Munson

I wouldn't mind the spring stuff as long as it was more like controlled scrimmages and not real games.

And can anyone tell me why all my posts are in red italics?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

PoopyfaceMcGee

You'll just have to figure that out for yourself, SimonPinkston9087.

eaglegene

IMO i think the "expanded play" by 2 games per season is more for the benefit of "international" play rather than for the fans here is the USA. This would allow each team to travel overseas atleast 1-2 times per season to play while allowing current season ticket holders too see their 8 home games + preseason & playoffs if applicable. I dont condone the international play either. The just shoulda kept NFL Europe for that.

As per the previous request i have chosen not to use the Teal text, lol.  :-D

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Eagaholic

Quote from: hbionic on October 17, 2008, 11:42:33 PM
Quote from: Diomedes on October 17, 2008, 08:41:59 PM
Quote from: eaglegene on October 17, 2008, 08:36:09 PMAs per the previous request i have chosen not to use the Teal text, lol.  :-D

Hoyda

I didn't know we could change colors.

hey, I think those rainbow colors suite you Chuggie

Munson

Quote from: FastFreddie on October 16, 2008, 08:25:08 AM
You'll just have to figure that out for yourself, SimonPinkston9087.

:-D

Can I call you racinreggie? Or whatever the farg that guys name was.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

PoopyfaceMcGee

Reggie Torian and Todd Pinkston keep calling McNabb, asking to train in Arizona.

If he'd only answer the call, the Eagles' WR problems would be SOLVED.

eaglegene

Quote from: eaglegene on October 17, 2008, 08:36:09 PM
IMO i think the "expanded play" by 2 games per season is more for the benefit of "international" play rather than for the fans here is the USA. This would allow each team to travel overseas atleast 1-2 times per season to play while allowing current season ticket holders too see their 8 home games + preseason & playoffs if applicable. I dont condone the international play either. They just shoulda kept NFL Europe for that.

As per the previous request i have chosen not to use the Teal text, lol.  :-D