9 Guys who can influence the NFL this season

Started by Father Demon, July 14, 2006, 03:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Demon

Link that has the text for all the players   (Link fixed)

Now's the time you start to put pen to paper in an effort to figure out who can survive the parity party and make the playoffs in 2006.

Try doing it now. It's not easy with so many teams having so many variables.

And this is before the obligatory injuries and holdouts.

We all know that the success of players like Daunte Culpepper, Ben Roethlisberger, Steve McNair, Carson Palmer and others are paramount to shaping the standings for 2006.

With that as a backdrop, let's go over nine not necessarily mainstream, yet pivotal players, for 2006. These individuals can truly help shape the playoff race this season.

1. Brian Westbrook, running back, Eagles

Everyone talks about the Eagles' receiving core sans Terrell Owens. I don't think that's the main issue at all for Philadelphia's offense this year. Brian Westbrook has to rebound from a season-ending foot injury and must be counted upon for a minimum of 20 carries for ALL 16 games. And Andy Reid needs to buy into a running game to take the pressure off of Donovan McNabb and the Eagles' defense. Westbrook says he is going to be healthy by opening day. He spent the off-season picking Tiki Barber's brain on how to train. Now, he has to perform like him.

The health, execution, and carries for Westbrook could represent the biggest range in the NFL for any team. A Pro Bowl season could equal a division title. Anything less and the Eagles could find themselves in last place in the best division in the NFL.

2. Tatum Bell, running back, Broncos
3. Pork Chop Womack, offensive lineman, Seahawks
4. Philip Rivers, quarterback, Chargers
4. Philip Rivers, quarterback, Chargers
5. Stephen Jackson, running back, Rams
6. Mark Brunell, quarterback, taterskins
7. David Carr, quarterback, Texans
8. Ed Hartwell, linebacker, Falcons
9. Steve Loney, offensive line coach, Cardinals
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

4and26

Quote from: Father Demon on July 14, 2006, 03:11:53 PM
Link that has the text for all the players

A Pro Bowl season could equal a division title. Anything less and the Eagles could find themselves in last place in the best division in the NFL.[/color][/b]

Don't know if I complete agree with this statement but just like Donovan, a health Westbrook will go a long way in determining how well the Eagles will do.

QB Eagles

Bad link, bad quote-tagging, bad spelling... this thread isn't off to a very good start in the first two posts.

Anyway, I disagree with the story. McNabb's performance determines the offensive success more than Westbrook's. And I think the biggest problem carried over from last year was the drop-off in the healthy defense's performance, rather than the busted-up offense's lack of a running game. I also think Moats is a serviceable backup should something bad happen to Westbrook. Reid and the O-line were the big obstacles to having a running game last year, not Westy's injury or him not making the Pro Bowl.

Philip Rivers matters a lot more for the Chargers.

Feva

QuoteBrian Westbrook has to rebound from a season-ending foot injury and must be counted upon for a minimum of 20 carries for ALL 16 games.

The EAGLES won't have a minimum of 20 carries in all 16 games... let alone Westbrook.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews