Inquirer: Rookie Lineman A Hunter At Heart...

Started by PhillyPhreak54, September 08, 2005, 08:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteRookie lineman a hunter at heart

As backup to N.D. Kalu, Trent Cole is hoping for a chance to stalk some prey against Atlanta.

By Shannon Ryan
Inquirer Staff Writer

Trent Cole is just a country boy in the big city.

Right now the rookie defensive end from rural southern Ohio is looking for two things: an opportunity on the field and a new hunting partner.

Cole, a fifth-round draft pick out of Cincinnati, has survived the first test by making the Eagles' roster. He sees a chance to make an impact.

The Eagles released veteran defensive end Hugh Douglas, and Jerome McDougle is not expected to return from a gunshot wound until five or six weeks into the season.

"If any opportunity comes by me, I'm going to take it," said Cole, who at 6-foot-3 and 260 pounds is listed as the backup for N.D. Kalu on the right side. "Seeing doors open up, I'm going to be the first one in there. I'm not going to hesitate or say no. I'm taking it."

Cole had just two preseason games to prove himself - the first and the last. He suffered a strained chest ligament Aug. 15 when he was kicked by a Steelers running back while making a tackle.

Cole remained in the game and registered seven tackles, but later felt "excruciating pain" and was held out of the preseason games against the Baltimore Ravens and Cincinnati Bengals.

That's a lot of time for an unproven rookie, especially with free-agent pickup Juqua Thomas playing well on the other end.

As cutdown day grew closer, Cole's heart was beating faster.

He knew he needed a big day in the last preseason game against the New York Jets.

"It worried me big-time," he said. "But I couldn't do anything about it if they were going to cut me or keep me. If I was hurt, I was no use to anybody. It meant everything to me because I wanted to be up here and play for the Eagles."

He delivered with nine tackles and half a sack last Thursday against the Jets.

Cole, 22, from Xenia, Ohio, spent time after the cuts on Saturday talking to his family, which includes five siblings and eight uncles.

"I'm from a small town," he said, "so everybody's calling me."

If he comes in to relieve Kalu in Monday night's opener, Cole's first professional assignment will be a tough one. Helping contain Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick is a difficult job for even the most seasoned end.

Kalu has been impressed by Cole's leverage and speed.

"He's going to be a star in this league," Kalu said. "I haven't seen a rookie [end] come on the scene like him in a long time. He plays at one speed, and after like 10 plays he's still going all-out. It's like he doesn't know he's supposed to be tired after a 10-play drive."

At Cincinnati, Cole finished with 238 tackles and 19 sacks - third on the school's all-time sack list.

His pro playing days are only beginning, but he has other plans. One day, Cole would like to become a game warden. He enjoys hunting deer and turkey.

Of course, that is not an easy hobby to pursue in Philadelphia.

"If anyone around here hunts and fishes, they need to contact me," he said.

Although he attended Cincinnati, living in a big city still is an adjustment for Cole.

"When I come to the city, I'm like, 'Oh, man,' " he said. "I'm trying to find some land. It's fun here, but there ain't nothing like the country."

I'm really liking the pick of Cole more and more. He added that 20lbs and didn't lose his speed. He could be one of the better picks they made this year.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote"He's going to be a star in this league," Kalu said. "I haven't seen a rookie [end] come on the scene like him in a long time. He plays at one speed, and after like 10 plays he's still going all-out. It's like he doesn't know he's supposed to be tired after a 10-play drive."

:evil  Nice.

ice grillin you

anyone whos seen gummo knows all about xenia ohio

scair-reeeeeeeeeeeeee
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MURP

big time compliment from Kalu there.  Scrap Iron!!!