2013 NFL Draft

Started by BigEd76, December 30, 2012, 08:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

Jason Cole has an article about how execs hated Geno leading up to the draft

Quote"I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches ... he's talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down."

Quote"He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader," said another league executive, who spent a great deal of time studying Smith before the draft. "I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league."

Two sources indicated that when Smith went on some visits to teams, rather than interact with coaches and front-office people, he would spend much of his time on his cell phone. Instead of being engaged with team officials, he would be texting friends or reading Twitter or a number of other distracting activities.

"All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one of the sources said. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

Both sources indicated that Florida State's E.J. Manuel, who was selected ahead of Smith at No. 16 overall by Buffalo, was far more impressive in terms of his personality and maturity.

QuoteSmith was being convinced by other friends that it was the fault of his agents that he slipped so much in the draft, according to one of the sources.

"Right now, he's blaming everybody but himself and he has some buddies around him who are telling him that same thing," the source said.

Enjoy Jets

QB Eagles

If the kid can break down defenses, make intelligent decisions, move well in and out of the pocket, and pass strongly and accurately, he'll do really well in the NFL whether or not he's an antisocial whiny dude who reads Twitter. That armchair psychology shtein is the most overrated aspect of sports. Pretty much every personality type has been a champion at some point. If you want to know if someone can be coached, watch tape of the progression of their talent, don't base it on whether he has one day of awkward social interactions with your coaches. Not every talented athlete meets a certain stereotype.

That being said, from what I've seen, I don't think he is close to having the skills to break down an NFL-level defense, and so I expect him to fail for that reason. Also he might not care about football or about getting better... and that is a personality trait that actually can matter.

ice grillin you

in general i agree but the qb position is a different animal...being salty and firing your agent cause you felt you "deserved" to be chosen higher screams of some ryan leaf shtein to me

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Nice post, QB. I agree. It's all about production. If he does well, that stuff takes a backseat and he's just looked at as quirky or aloof or whatever.

If he stinks it will be magnified and overanalyzed...especially in NY.

I agree that the agent firing is dumb and childish but we are talking about spoiled young bucks who have their egos stroked from day one.

If he starts berating reporters and being a fleshpop....then he's Leaf

ice grillin you

berating reporters is far more insignificant than firing your agent because you didnt get drafted high enough

and of course its all about production...thats like saying if he wins four superbowls no one will care about any of this....well duh...but thats not the point

the point is production at the qb position can be negatively impacted by a persnality disorder far more than any other position in sports...does this mean hes doomed for life...no...but so far signs are not pointing in a positive direction for him

PhillyPhreak54

Wonder if Rob Parker thinks he's a cornball?

Eagaholic

Production and success trumps almost everything else including being coachable. But how do players making the jump from college to the pros become successful? A lot has to do with learning from coaches and veteran players, so they aren't mutually exclusive. Maybe when a guy like Brett Favre gets to his 17th season he can tune out Brad Childress, or they basically hand the reins over to Payton Manning after he becomes Payton Manning, but it's pretty hard to get to that place being an uncoachable loner wrapped up in his own world (if those labels are true).

Don Ho

Welcome to San Diego moron.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

methdeez

Average grades of 8 pundits:
Mel Kiper, ESPN Insider
Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
Vinnie Iyer, Sporting News
Evan Silva, Rotoworld
Chris Burke, Sports Illustrated
Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
Nate Davis, USA Today

Cowboys are the worst out of 32 with a average GPA of 1.6 (a straight D). Lols.
Eagles, 11 out of 32 with a 3.1 (a straight B).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2013/2013-nfl-draft-report-card-report

QB Eagles

They went back and looked at the the 2007 draft, too. To me, these lookbacks are a lot more interesting than the meaningless grades of the 2013 class.

Best QB drafted in 2007? They're voting Kevin Kolb, and it's not easy to disagree given the competition. Weird.

methdeez

That was a pretty terrible year for qbs.

Rome

More on Geno...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9239609/geno-smith-new-york-jets-remains-spotlight-all-wrong-reasons

Quote"He's going to have a tough time in New York," an NFC scout said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Right now, he's coming off as a spoiled, pampered brat."

Haha... good luck with that, Jets.

ice grillin you

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 30, 2013, 12:48:08 PM
loser geno smith fired his agent....this guy will def survive new york