The Legion of the Exposed

Started by SunMo, January 02, 2006, 09:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

Going into every season, one of the things that has made the Eagles successful is that they are able to take young, cheap players who where backups and make them starters without hurting the team.  This year, many of those players they were counting on to contribute were exposed as not being able to fill the role the Eagles thought they could fill.  They are:

Greg Lewis - a #4 WR last year, the Eagles had him slotted as a #3, then a #2 when Pinkston went down, and a #1 when TO blew up.  he has been one of the biggest disappointments.  he's dropped passes, not been able to get open, and has shown a overall lack of toughness that is required in that position.

Artis Hicks - a good utility OL in years past, he was given the starting LG spot this year, enabling them to let go of Jermane Mayberry.  He just hasn't been good enough.  He consistently gets beat or gets penalties.  As others have said, Steve Hutchinson would be a great pickup here, you gain a great OG and you move Artis back to more suitable role as the 1st backup.

Keith Adams - another good role player/special teamer last year, he had a great game in the NFCCG and the Eagles thought he could step in a be a starter at WIL.  He has been one of the biggest disappointments this year.  While you rely on your SAM to cover TEs, you expect your WIL to be a playmaker, getting sacks, causing turnovers, Adams has done none of that.  Will Witherspoon would be a good pickup here.

Darwin Walker - when the Eagles let Corey Simon go, they expected Walker to be the DT that would create the pocket disruptions, like Simon had when playing well.  They expected the DEs and the other DTs to benefit from Walker's play, and that hasn't happened.  The DTs have been, as a group, the most disappointing aspect of this team.  They are a major reason why the secondary has gotten destroyed this year.

Dexter Wynn - they didn't sign a PR this offseason because they thought they had one in Wynn.  He has been nothing short of awful after returning one for a TD against Baltimore in the preseason.

Matt Ware - this one isn't huge, but he was the Dime corner this year and was awful.  He should be cut in the offseason.

Any others that I missed?  There are some players that aren't good enough, such as Dhani, Kalu, the backup QBs, Parry but they don't really fall into this category of guys the Eagles gambled on and lost.

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Feva

QuoteGreg Lewis - a #4 WR last year, the Eagles had him slotted as a #3, then a #2 when Pinkston went down, and a #1 when TO blew up.  he has been one of the biggest disappointments.  he's dropped passes, not been able to get open, and has shown a overall lack of toughness that is required in that position.

While I agree that Greg's been disappointing as hell this season.  I'm not sure he's been "exposed" as anything other than what he is... a #3 WR at best.  Like you said... he started the season at #3 so the Eagles gauged him correctly.  Then due to injuries/mental patient going apeshtein, he was thrown into a feature WR role, which he simply is not good enough to handle.  Thrash would be an example of a guy who was "exposed".  He, like Greg, was incapable of being a #1 WR, but the Eagles brought him in to be "the guy".  You can throw Thrash on the FO... but not Greg so much... because the FO hadn't forseen him playing as much as he has.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

SunMo

well, in the end, we agree on GLew's talent, and that's all that really matters.  but when i call him exposed, it's because the Eagles didn't do anything when Pinkston went down.  they thought he was good enough to be a #2, and he wasn't.  but like I said, that's all semantics about the word "exposed".
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

it wasnt the players who were exposed it was the retarded eagle fans who said that lewis would be a very good #2 nfl wr...when in reality he is at best a #4...damn kool aid drinkers
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous