Eagles notes....

Started by PhillyGirl, August 19, 2005, 07:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

QuoteAnother Patterson has Birds' defense smiling :D
By LES BOWEN
bowenl@phillynews.com

He's the Eagles' "other" Patterson, the one who didn't get a $2.7 million signing bonus.

Martin Patterson is a rookie free-agent linebacker from Texas Christian. Mike Patterson is a defensive tackle, the Eagles' first-round draft choice, from Southern Cal.

Both Pattersons have looked good so far in training camp, but there's no contest when it comes to deciding which one has most exceeded expectations.

"For a free-agent young guy coming in, I think he's done an extremely good job," defensive coordinator Jim Johnson said yesterday. "He's ahead of a lot of guys we've had."

Patterson (6-1, 243) is "a very physical linebacker," Johnson said. "He shows, in between the tackles, that he can play middle linebacker. He can take on a lead block. He takes on a lineman well. He's still working on his pass coverage. I probably think that's his weakness, but he's had an excellent camp, no question about it."

Patterson said he felt he wasn't drafted because of "real slow" combine times, including a 4.9 40. But as is so often the case, particularly with linebackers, he has shown strong instincts and smooth lateral movement that can be more important than straight-ahead speed.

Patterson said he had a hamstring problem at the combine, but, "I've never been real fast on the clock. It's always something that happens in games."

Johnson said Patterson "had an awfully big game" in Monday's preseason opener, against the Steelers.

"It was crazy," Patterson said. "I was so hyped up, all I could do was go out there and try to go without fear. The coaches here do a pretty good job... I thought I had the gist of what was going on."

Starting linebacker Jeremiah Trotter said Patterson "studies hard, he stays in the playbook, he listens, and he's a downhill, physical player."

T.O. playing vs. Ravens?

Offensive coordinator Brad Childress seemed to indicate that Terrell Owens will play tomorrow at Baltimore, when the Eagles take the field for their second preseason game. Owens returned to the team Wednesday after being sent home for a week by coach Andy Reid. He had been limited by a groin injury, but Childress said yesterday that Owens was "preparing to be able to play," and that he "looked fine, looked good" in yesterday morning's noncontact workout.

"Right now, he's part of the whole game plan," Childress said.

Childress said he did not feel he needed to speak to Owens about last week's disagreements. One of the events that led to Owens being sent home was his admonition to Childress, asking the offensive coordinator not to speak to him unless T.O. spoke first. Owens then told ESPN that Childress was antagonizing him by repeatedly saying, "Hey, Terrell."

Yesterday, Childress said he had no hard feelings. "I really haven't had the occasion to," Childress said, when asked if he had spoken with T.O. Childress said their only interaction to that point was "one-sided," Childress up at a screen during a meeting presenting information.

Owens again did not speak with reporters.

More tests for 'Buck'

Running back Correll Buckhalter said he plans to visit Dr. James Andrews in Alabama again Monday.

Buckhalter said his right knee, repaired by Andrews a year ago, doesn't feel as if it's badly injured, but he can't get it feeling strong and stable. Buckhalter has been sidelined since taking a helmet to the knee early in camp. He visited Andrews last week and the surgeon found nothing structurally wrong, Buckhalter said.

Birdseed

Apparently, the Eagles are about to resume talks toward a long-term contract with running back Brian Westbrook, though agent Fletcher Smith has not returned calls from the Daily News this week... Defensive tackle Sam Rayburn is finally practicing again, after suffering a hyperextended elbow early in training camp. Jim Johnson said Rayburn was "very questionable" to play against the Ravens. Asked how Rayburn looked yesterday, John-son said: "A little rusty. He doesn't have a lot of strength in that arm right now"... Johnson said he was "real happy" with the play of fifth-round rookie defensive end Trent Cole against the Steelers. Cole suffered a chest strain in that game and probably won't play in Baltimore. So the Eagles yesterday brought in another defensive end, Darrell Lee, who went to camp last year with the Cowboys. They cut wide receiver Grant Adams... Linebacker Jason Short was a special-teams standout last year but played sparingly at linebacker. Johnson said Short, the Eagles' defensive star of Monday's game, is "night and day so far" vs. his play last year.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PoopyfaceMcGee

Team Mike Patterson is proud of our long-lost relative Martin and approves of this message.

RezRob

QuoteLinebacker Jason Short was a special-teams standout last year but played sparingly at linebacker. Johnson said Short, the Eagles' defensive star of Monday's game, is "night and day so far" vs. his play last year.

Short was a beast in Mondays game. Big respect to that effort. I hope he can be the next Ike Reese  :-D
Official GreenBay Correspondent...

PhillyPhreak54

Martin is one of my sleepers (along with Redd) but I just can't see him making it. The only way he'd make it is if they go heavy at LB or drop someone like Simoneau. They like Labinjo and Short, so they go nowhere.

henchmanUK

"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

greenbleeder

All i know is we badly need someone to take over ike's role, so either martin can try his hand at it, or at least light the fire under someone else's ass. I love Short on ST, but he's gotta control that aggression just a hair to do for us what ike did.
Official Sponsor of Tom Heckert, the man behind the men.

This is our year. Because we're gonna make it our year.

http://greenbleeder.blogspot.com

PhillyGirl

Quote from: greenbleeder on August 19, 2005, 09:52:09 AM
I love Short on ST, but he's gotta control that aggression just a hair to do for us what ike did.

???
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

shorebird

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/99-08192005-529759.html

Quote"Martin works hard, studies hard, practices hard," Trotter said. "He listens, he's a smart guy. He's my kind of player - he plays downhill, he's physical and he flies around to the football.

He's gotten' the whoodchoppa's attention. Looks like he might be a undrafted backup.

ice grillin you

short is the guy harbaugh called out the other day when he mentioned that the wedge busters need to get a little under control...if you watch the game again check him out on the kick off return...he absolutely annihilates the wedge but he does so with total disregard as to where the kick return guy was...setting in motion the big return
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

He is a helluva wedgebuster though. He knocked out Jared DeVries in that Detroit game.

The clip of that is awesome. As is him getting knocked out in CLE and then talking shtein.

Diomedes

No one is saying Short should offer to have therapy sessions with the opposing team.  He should however find a way to play smart first, and vicious second.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

I remember when Ike came into the league, he played a little too agressive as well.  He got a few unnecessary roughness flags thrown his way back in the day. 

mussa

whatever, hes not our starting linebacker, let the crazy basterd be crazy. 
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"